Tips when dealing with Insurance Companies
Posted on Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 at 3:39 pm
- Consult with an attorney that can help you determine your rights. DO NOT try to take on the insurance company on your own. Their main objective is get out while underpaying your claim.
- DO NOT give any recorded or written statements to the insurance company. Consult an attorney prior to agreeing to any type of recorded or written statement. Anything you say can and will be used against you.
- DO NOT automatically accept the estimate or appraisal given by the insurance company. Insurance companies will often try to get you to accept their estimator’s or contractor’s repair or replacement estimates, which might be a bit low. Under Texas law, you have the right to take your vehicle to the body shop of your choosing.
- DO NOT sign any releases until you obtain legal advice. Insurance companies try to “swoop and settle” with injured persons in order to get out for pennies on the dollar. You may be inclined to accept a premature, inadequate settlement do to a tough financial situation but, remember, once you sign, your claim is OVER.
- DO NOT deposit or cash any checks that say “Final Payment”
- Do not post anything to social media regarding the collision. Insurance companies will use any and all posts against you.
Remember, you have the right to file a personal injury claim against the party that caused you harm. Call us at (832) 433-7279 for a free consultation with one of our attorneys and to learn more about your claim, the compensation you may be entitled to receive, and how Hightower | Capellan can be of assistance.